Summer is here and I for one couldn’t be more excited! The long days and warm nights of summer make for really great memories, but the harsh sun, hot temps, and increased activity can set you up for some common beauty blunders.
Fortunately, most summer beauty snafus are easy to fix. Check out these tips to look fab all summer long!
1. The Sunburn: While vacationing in Hawaii one year I fell asleep on the beach at Waimea Bay and awakened to one of the worst burns of my adult life. Needless to say, the next few days of my vacation were spent under the shade drenched in aloe. Unfortunately most of us, for one reason or another, experience a really bad sunburn in our lifetime. If this happens to you, reach for all natural aloe. Aloe is great for moisture and also takes some of the heat out.
Also, if you have really dry, sensitive patches from the sunburn, try using Sensé Night Renewal Crème to help soften and moisturize. Sunburned skin is in shock and needs immediate attention. Keep it hydrated and drink lots of water. Wear loose clothing to avoid further discomfort and stay completely out of the sun (or as much as possible) until your skin has healed.
2. Sunless Tanner Overload (AKA “Oompa Loompa Syndrome”): Yep. You did it. You overdosed on sunless tanner and now you look like you belong in a Willy Wonka movie. Don’t panic! First we need to address which area you over-sprayed. Your face? No problem. Just moisten cotton pads with liquid make up remover and sweep across face and neck. After, grab your Sensé Rice Bran Polisher and work it into your skin with wet fingertips. Rinse. Repeat once. The little rice beadlets in this amazing, gentle exfoliator with help remove excess color.
Follow up with moisturizer and voila! At this point, your face should be back to a normal color. For extra color-removing power, find the cotton pads labeled “exfoliating” because they are made with a specific exfoliating texture that will help further remove the sunless tanner.
But what if you’ve over-sprayed your entire body including hands and feet you say? Solved. Reach for your Sensé Energizing Shower Gel and squeeze a dollop into your palm. Then, add a tablespoon of brown sugar and begin scrubbing! The brown sugar will help exfoliate and even the color of your tan. Bonus — you’ll smell extra yummy! For really dark spots, apply all natural lemon juice with a cotton pad. That should do the trick!
3. Razor Burn (Ouch!): Shaving regularly during the summer will keep you smooth, but sometimes you end up with razor burn. Every time you shave, you remove a portion of the top layer of your skin along with the hair. This can leave your skin sensitive and vulnerable. Storing your razor in the shower where it’s humid can create a breeding ground for bacteria to grow leading to irritation and possible infection. Keep your razors stored in a cool, dry place and be sure to replace them at least every 3 weeks.
4. Dry, Brittle Locks: Sun, sand, and surf has left your hair dry and brittle. Don’t worry — the remedy is in Sensé Nourishing Conditioner. Apply this luxurious conditioner generously to clean, damp hair. Wrap a warm, damp towel around your hair and wait ten minutes. Rinse thoroughly. That was easy, huh?
5. Cracked Heels: Flip flops and sandals come in all sorts of fun fashions, but they can leave your heels looking hideous. If you don’t want to splurge for a pedicure, just follow these simple steps. First, soak your feet in the tub. Then, use a natural pumice stone (they are widely available and cost about a dollar) along with Sensé Rice Bran Polisher to slough off dry skin. Work the stone aggressively over your heels to get them smooth. Rinse.
After exfoliating your feet, be sure to apply plenty of moisturizer. My choice — Sensé Firming Body Nourisher. Apply an ample amount to your heels and slip on a pair of cotton socks. Keep these on overnight and I promise you’ll wake up with baby soft feet!
Well there’s the scoop!
Wishing you all beauty and health.
Jessica Reimer is a Senior Marketing Manager at USANA Health Sciences. If you have any stories, comments, or questions that you would like to see addressed in future features, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about Sensé skin-care products, please visit www.beautifulscience.com and like us on Facebook!. Some USANA products are available only in select markets.
We’re proud to bring you the freshest content on the web! Follow USANA, like our USANA Facebook page and enjoy the latest videos on the official USANA YouTube channel.
Learn what USANA is doing to make the world a better place.